Monday, September 14, 2009

It's time

I did something on the weekend I've never willingly do before; I asked a friend who is an awesome photographer, to take my picture. I had a specific reason for it, so it needed to be done, and she did exactly what I asked, and did so perfectly. The results were a good head shot and a well framed full body shot.

Problem was, I'd never seen me like that. I mean, I've looked in the mirror; I know what I look like, but seriously, this was a wake up call and a half.

Having had twins a little more than 2 years ago, I can no longer use them as an excuse. I can no longer say, "oh it's ok, I've just had twins, I don't expect to look great after that", as it was more than two years ago - I have had plenty of time to have done something about the weight since then.

I've been wanting to do something for a while now, but this photo has really made me think twice about being so slack in my effort. I've jumped on the scales this morn and I fully intend taking measurements this week, if not this evening. I plan to do this properly, and to hit my short term target of 10% by Christmas. After that, I intend on pushing on.

My goal weight is horrendously far off. I'm almost as heavy now as I was after having my first child. And being 13 years younger, I was of the mindset back then that it wasn't a big deal, it would drop off when I put in a little effort and when I did get in the right frame of mind, I was right, it did fall off pretty effortlessly. I was at my goal weight when she hit 2. Thing is, it's taken 11 years to creep back on. Sure, I've had 2 pregnancies in that time, but again, that really is no excuse.

I did well today, for a first day; I stuck to eating well, when putting bickies out for a meeting, I remembered that photo and didn't scoff one for myself, and at lunch I walked a little over 3 kms. So let's see how this goes.

I've found when I "out" myself and don't keep the diet and exercise a secret, I succeed way better than when I don't tell people, and don't create witnesses. So thanks any readers out there. Feel free to drop me a line every now and then to ensure I stay on the right track.

BTW I don't expect to be perfect and eat no chocolate or exercise every day, but I do expect to try my best and if I fall off the good track, that I do get back on there. Let's see, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But it was such a lovely photo. However, don't worry so much about the fats, watch the sugars and keep moving. I guess with your tribe, you do.

Raelene said...

Ah... twas the full body shot that not a lot of others have seen that gave me a poke in the eye. The head shot was ok, as that is exactly what I see in the mirror, so acceptable, yunno?

Star said...

I know you can do it. And you have given me a bit of a push as well.

Cazzie!!! said...

Yep, I see what you are saying, being a mum of four kids here I won't use them as an excuse anymore.
The walking at lunchtime is a great idea. I see alot of people in nice outfits with runners on in the City going for their lunchtime walk, fruit in hand.
I ride my bike every day that I do not work. When I do ide my bike I eat different toppings on those Ryvita biscuits. That way I can do another quick spin before I go pick the kids up from school.
When I work, I take healthy food with fruit and yoghurt, and I llow myself a small treat a few times a week.
I have done it for over a year (started last May). I see results now, and whilst I refuse to weight myself I guage my weightloss by a) clothes size and b) people's comments (one I do not ask for).
You can do it...slowly, not quick..that is the key!

Unknown said...

Ah Rae, you'll do fine. I think it's great that you're making a definite move. I have all these vague plans of doing some yoga or a daily walk...but nothing yet...and Small Z is 20 months. That a lot of inactivity! I'm going to start trying harder too...

Anonymous said...

As you know my one and only child turned 4 recently and I still make reference to carrying around the "baby fat". If I had twins I'd be making excuses until they were well into their 20's. I'm sure once you start gaining a bit of energy from the walking it'll take on a life of its own and you'll be well on your way to achieving your aim. Best of luck!